Weekly Summer Kayak Challenge
The Summer Kayak Challenge will continue for 6 weeks.
- Throughout the season kids will receive kayak lessons from 4 ORCKA Certified CReW instructors, with the help of several volunteer assistants.
- During each session they will also be receiving instruction on the importance of water safety, responsible use and care of the waterways and shorelines, the importance of physical conditioning (stretching and exercise) and the importance of a healthy diet and hydration.
Evening 1 (we use Tuesdays)
- Meeting place: West side of Lamoureux Park in Cornwall, Ontario at the public boat launch.
- Start time: 6:30 until sunset.
- Throughout the summer the length of the evenings change and we can offer the most water time by adjusting the time on water based on available daylight.
- Parents that wish to have their kids off the water at a specific time are asked to advise us at the beginning of the class.
- Each day a maximum of 16 participants.
- 2 different age group programs:
- Age group 6-12
- Following the land portion of the class and preparation the kids will bring their boats to the east point of the Ecopark in Lamoureux Park
- In waist deep water they will be accompanied by an instructor and an assistant.
- The focus will be on fun and learning through skill building games and exposure to the environment.
- The program will focus on the skills required to complete an ORCKA Flatwater A program.
- Teens (13 and up)
- Beginner classes.
- Rolling classes
- Intro to “current” and “moving water” classes.
- The program focuses on the skills required to complete an ORCKA Flatwater Certificate and have the chance to move up to the Wednesday program to complete a Level 1 River Kayaking program.
- Age group 6-12
- As participant skills improve they will be evaluated and can move up to the Wednesday evening classes.
Evening 2 (we use Wednesdays):
- Age group 13 and up.
- Wednesday evenings are designed to provide a weekly whitewater class so that more experienced participants can improve their skills and experience the adventure of class II and III whitewater and provide the Tuesday evening paddlers with an incentive to improve.
- More advanced participants will start to learn the fundamentals of competitive freestyle kayaking.
- Each evening will be available to a maximum of 10 participants.
- CReW will provide transportation. Parents are encouraged to participate and volunteer.