Selecting a Kayak
Choosing the right kayak can be a tough decision. There are so many different makes and designs on the market all offering to do a whole range of things, its no surprise it can be quite hard to choose.
Luckily most fishing kayaks are either designed for a specific purpose or for a more generalised use. The best advice we can give is for you to think about what you would like to do with your kayak. Have a chat with a specialist and then if you can, try before you buy.
How to choose the right boat
1. Have a think about what you would like to do with your kayak.
2. Speak to your local store and local paddlers about your options
3. Make sure you fit. Boats come in a variety of different lengths and sizes. Use the manufactures guidelines as guidance but then jump in the boat and see how it feels. Every person size and shape if different and the guidelines are just that ‘guidance’. The best way to know if a boat fits is to try it.
4. Try out as many boats as you can
5. Choose the one you like the most and take it on loads of adventures out on the water
Try before you buy. Make sure you jump in it out on the water before you buy it so you can and see how it feels.
Ask yourself a few questions…
Do you fit?
Can you control it?
Is it designed for the type of water you will be paddling?
Does it have the accessories you require?
Do you like the colour?
How to Select the Right Boat for your type of Fishing
Selecting a boat for moving water
Selecting a boat for flat / open water
Selecting a boat for medium / versatile