Search
Monday 30 November 2020
  • :
  • :

In depth Raymarine Dragonfly Install on Kraken

I recently got a Jackson Kraken.  Here’s how I added my Raymarine Dragonfly to the yak.

First step was to flip the boat over and place the Dragonfly transducer into the transducer scupper.  Then trace the footprint of the transducer in the scupper using a Sharpie…

IMGP0004

The get out the kayak lazer gun (ok its actually just a hot glue gun) and let it get good and hot.  Apply a good bit of hot glue into the area where the transducer contacts the hull and quickly embed the transducer.  Then while the glue is still hot, add more glue above the transducer to “capture it” in hot glue…

IMGP0006

IMGP0007

IMGP0008

Wait about five minutes and then flip her over.  Every kayak has a goofy feature.  This kayak has a well-intended but totally useless drink holder bungee.  Cut it out!

IMGP0009
Seal the holes with your lazer…

IMGP0010
Now drill a hole for the transducer cable…

IMGP0011
Seal the hole with a Wire Cap…

IMGP0013
Put a little Goop into the backside of the wire cap to seal and minor openings…

IMGP0015
Put a small bead of hot glue onto the transducer cable and press it into the recess around the hatch perimeter to secure the cable high and out of the way for tangle free rod stuffing…

IMGP0016
IMGP0017
IMGP0018
Repeat every few inches until its all high and tight…

IMGP0021
IMGP0024
After looking at a number of ways to get the cable thru the hull and to the head unit I decided to use the hinge clamp plate as the “wire cap”.  Carefully mark the front edge of the hinge clamp plate and then disassemble the clamp.

IMGP0025
Then drill a hole for the transducer cable.  Place the hole so that only a small portion of the hole is exposed when the clamp plate is reinstalled.  This small gap is where the wires will pass thru while the clamp plate will cover the majority of the large hole required to pass the cable end thru…

IMGP0029
Pass the wire thru and Goop all of the clamp holes…

IMGP0031
Reinstall the clamp and then open the hatch.  Seal the backside of the pass thru with more Goop.  Then install a pair of cable organizers to the bottom of the hatch under the clamp plate…

IMGP0037

Coil your transducer cable and zip tie it into place using your cable organizers…

IMGP0038
Route the power cable that is integrated into the transducer cable forward into the battery tray that is under the front hatch.  Trim to length and install terminal ends…

IMGP0047
Install battery…

IMGP0048
Done with the hard part (which was actually really easy).

For installing the head unit I wanted to come up with some kind of sturdy base.  I used Ram balls on my Cuda and it was always too wiggly for my liking.  Unfortunately the Dragonfly base is too big for direct mounting.  It would contact my trucks roof when on my roof rack.  How to have a rigid mount yet totally removable….HMMMMmmmm.  I stared at the tracks, my assortment of Yak Attack gear but nothing quite worked.

So I sketch up an idea for a mounting plate and sent it to Luther Cifers at Yak Attack.  He is a great guy and a fishing buddy. A few emails later this showed up at my house… :smt007 :smt007 :smt007

IMGP0032
I mounted the Dragonfly base to the pre-drilled plate using the supplied screws…

IMGP0033

Screwed on the saddle…

IMGP0035
And slid the assembly onto the hatch tracks…BOOOOOM!

IMGP0041
The whole set up is super clean and very easy to strip off for transport or surf launching…

IMGP0053
As fishing yaks progress it has become easier and easier to rig them.  This was super easy and I love the results…

IMGP0054
And it works beautifully :smt003…

IMGP0058