The new Lowrance Elite 5 HDI chart plotter/fish finder’s transducer unfortunately is just too large to be scupper mounted Flush on the Cuda. About 1/8″ sticks out on the bottom and i feel this will destroy the transducer over time.
Since this is an HDI unit the transducer needs to be mounted on the exterior of the hull below the waterline. A shoot through hull install with this type of unit will degrade the result of the display. I have two mounting options. One would be the Ram Mounts Transducer flex mount kit. The other being that the Cuda 14 has a removable replaceable skid plate with mounting hardware already molded into the boat. Simply I would have to design a bracket that would mount to the yak via the skid plate and bend up the transom to bolt the transducer through. I think this would eliminate the drag of having a bar and the transducer hanging over the side. Mounted inline with the boats hull it would act as a piece of the hull itself. At least these are my hopes.
I recommend stainless steel angle but as my choice due to its light weight and non rusting properties in salt water prototyping with aluminum is my preference. I will also paint the finished bracked so it is resistant from corroding and pitting. Once i have one made of aluminum maybe i will make one out of stainless just due to the trial and error phase. I am two seasons into my previous scupper mount fabrication where aluminum was used and still see minimal to no corrosion. The kayak doesn’t sit in the salt water and if its rinsed with fresh water every time it prolongs the life of the metal.
I decided to measure where the bend in the aluminum would be and using a dremel i cut of one side off the angle to make it flat.
I measured the existing skid plate screw holes and drilled appropriately for mounting.
Once the holes were drilled I mounted the bracket to measure with the transducer the amount of angle needed to mount the skimmer so it was aligned flush with the underside of the hull.
Once i cut the long piece off it looked like this (below)
Once this was done I aligned the transducer with the bottom of the hull and marked where to drill the hole. Then painted the bracket with black paint to resist the corrosive salt water.
Now for mounting!
Thats a pretty clean mount! I hope it wil work with loading and unloading the yak on and off my truck. Unfortunatlly it was the best solution but i think it will be fine!
Next will need to run the wiring so i have to figure out how im going to run all of the wire through the hull temporarily for the remainder of the season. These Lowrance wires and plugs are very large and makes the install tough. As in the photos below you can see my existing install using C-Caps. The plug collar is actually larger than the 3/4″ hole drilled here. I might be temporarily installing through the hatch and then replacing the hatch in the future. This will give me a chance to hinge the back end of the hatch. At least i can try it once before the final with out worrying about it being pretty..
Please post any questions.
Jackson Kayak Fishing Team